Top 10 Best Osho Quotes
Osho, born Chandra Mohan Jain on December 11, 1931, was an Indian spiritual teacher, mystic, and philosopher who gained a large following in India and abroad. He was known for his provocative and controversial teachings, which were a blend of Eastern spirituality and Western philosophy. Osho’s teachings focused on the individual’s journey toward self-realization and the importance of living in the present moment. Osho was the founder of the Rajneesh movement, which later came to be known as the Osho movement. He started his teaching career in the late 1960s, and by the 1970s, he had gained a large following in India. Osho’s teachings were not limited to spirituality; he also spoke on various social and political issues. Osho’s teachings and lifestyle were controversial, and he faced several legal issues throughout his life. He was deported from the United States in 1985 and returned to India, where he died in 1990.
Here are 10 of Osho’s most famous quotes:
- Life is not a problem. To look at it as a problem is to take a wrong step. It is a mystery to be lived, loved, experienced.
- Sadness gives depth. Happiness gives height. Sadness gives roots. Happiness gives branches. Happiness is like a tree going into the sky, and sadness is like the roots going down into the womb of the earth. Both are needed, and the higher a tree goes, the deeper it goes simultaneously. The bigger the tree, the bigger will be its roots. In fact, it is always in proportion. That’s its balance.
- The greatest fear in the world is the opinion of others, and the moment you are unafraid of the crowd, you are no longer a sheep, you become a lion. A great roar arises in your heart, the roar of freedom.
- If you love a flower, don’t pick it up. Because if you pick it up, it dies, and it ceases to be what you love. So, if you love a flower, let it be. Love is not about possession. Love is about appreciation.
- The capacity to be alone is the capacity to love. It may look paradoxical to you, but it is not. It is an existential truth: only those people who are capable of being alone are capable of love, of sharing, of going into the deepest core of another person without possessing the other, without becoming dependent on the other, without reducing the other to a thing, and without becoming addicted to the other. They allow the other absolute freedom because they know that if the other leaves, they will be as happy as they are now. Their happiness cannot be taken by the other, because it is not given by the other.
- The moment you start seeing life as non-serious, a playfulness, all the burden on your heart disappears. All the fear of death, of life, of love – everything disappears. One starts living with a very light weight or almost no weight. So weightless one becomes, one can fly in the open sky.
- The real question is not whether life exists after death. The real question is whether you are alive before death.
- To be creative means to be in love with life. You can be creative only if you love life enough that you want to enhance its beauty, you want to bring a little more music to it, a little more poetry to it, a little more dance to it.
- You are not accidental. Existence needs you. Without you, something will be missing in existence, and nobody can replace it.
- The greatest challenge in life is discovering who you are. The second greatest is being happy with what you find.