Top 10 Best Arthur Miller Quotes
Arthur Asher Miller was a prolific American playwright, essayist, and prominent figure in twentieth-century American theatre. Among his most popular plays are All My Sons, Death of a Salesman, The Crucible and A View from the Bridge. Here are the top 10 best Arthur Miller quotes –
#1 The job is to ask questions-it always was-and to ask them as inexorably as I can. And to face the absence of precise answers with a certain humility.
#2 Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets.
#3 He’s not the finest character that ever lived. But he’s a human being, and a terrible thing is happening to him. So attention must be paid.
#4 Betrayal is the only truth that sticks.
#5 Everybody likes a kidder, but nobody lends him money.
#6 Can anyone remember love? It’s like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
#7 I have made more friends for American culture than the State Department. Certainly I have made fewer enemies, but that isn’t very difficult.
#8 Let you look sometimes for the goodness in me, and judge me not.
#9 In the theater, while you recognized that you were looking at a house, it was a house in quotation marks. On screen, the quotation marks tend to be blotted out by the camera.
#10 Never fight fair with a stranger, boy. You’ll never get out of the jungle that way.
More Best Arthur Miller Quotes
- The structure of a play is always the story of how the birds came home to roost.
- All we are is a lot of talking nitrogen.
- I think it’s a mistake to ever look for hope outside of one’s self.
- A good newspaper, I suppose, is a nation talking to itself.
- A playwright lives in an occupied country. And if you can’t live that way you don’t stay.
- Where choice begins, Paradise ends, innocence ends, for what is Paradise but the absence of any need to choose this action?
- A suicide kills two people, Maggie, that’s what it’s for!
- The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.
- The closer a man approaches tragedy the more intense is his concentration of emotion upon the fixed point of his commitment, which is to say the closer he approaches what in life we call fanaticism.
- The theater is so endlessly fascinating because it’s so accidental. It’s so much like life.
- A child’s spirit is like a child, you can never catch it by running after it; you must stand still, and, for love, it will soon itself come back.
- Don’t be seduced into thinking that that which does not make a profit is without value
- Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet of them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!
- Life, woman, life is God’s most precious gift; no principle, however glorious, may justify the taking of it.
- If a person measures his spiritual fulfillment in terms of cosmic visions, surpassing peace of mind, or ecstasy, then he is not likely to know much spiritual fulfillment. If, however, he measures it in terms of enjoying a sunrise, being warmed by a child’s smile, or being able to help someone have a better day, then he is likely to know much spiritual fulfillment.
So these were the top 10 best Arthur Miller quotes. Do share the page and comment for more quotes.