Top 10 Best Anton Chekhov Quotes
Anton Chekhov was a Russian physician, playwright and author who is considered to be among the greatest writers of short stories in history. His career as a playwright produced four classics and his best short stories are held in high esteem by writers and critics. Here are the top 10 best Anton Chekhov quotes –
#1 Do you see that tree? It is dead but it still sways in the wind with the others. I think it would be like that with me. That if I died I would still be part of life in one way or another.
#2 Perhaps man has a hundred senses, and when he dies only the five senses that we know perish with him, and the other ninety-five remain alive.
#3 These people have learned not from books, but in the fields, in the wood, on the river bank. Their teachers have been the birds themselves, when they sang to them, the sun when it left a glow of crimson behind it at setting, the very trees, and wild herbs.
#4 Any idiot can face a crisis; it’s this day-to-day living that wears you out.
#5 I was oppressed with a sense of vague discontent and dissatisfaction with my own life, which was passing so quickly and uninterestingly, and I kept thinking it would be a good thing if I could tear my heart out of my breast, that heart which had grown so weary of life.
#6 What a fine weather today! Can’t choose whether to drink tea or to hang myself.
#7 Why are we worn out? Why do we, who start out so passionate, brave, noble, believing, become totally bankrupt by the age of thirty or thirty-five? Why is it that one is extinguished by consumption, another puts a bullet in his head, a third seeks oblivion in vodka, cards, a fourth, in order to stifle fear and anguish, cynically tramples underfoot the portrait of his pure, beautiful youth? Why is it that, once fallen, we do not try to rise, and, having lost one thing, we do not seek another? Why?
#8 You have lost your reason and taken the wrong path. You have taken lies for truth, and hideousness for beauty. You would marvel if, owing to strange events of some sorts, frogs and lizards suddenly grew on apple and orange trees instead of fruit, or if roses began to smell like a sweating horse; so I marvel at you who exchange heaven for earth. I don’t want to understand you.
#9 There are a great many opinions in this world, and a good half of them are professed by people who have never been in trouble.
#10 When asked, “Why do you always wear black?”, he said, “I am mourning for my life.
More Best Anton Chekhov Quotes
- The happy man only feels at ease because the unhappy bear their burden in silence. Without this silence, happiness would be impossible.
- Wisdom…. comes not from age, but from education and learning.
- And I despise your books, I despise wisdom and the blessings of this world. It is all worthless, fleeting, illusory, and deceptive, like a mirage. You may be proud, wise, and fine, but death will wipe you off the face of the earth as though you were no more than mice burrowing under the floor, and your posterity, your history, your immortal geniuses will burn or freeze together with the earthly globe.
- Perhaps the feelings that we experience when we are in love represent a normal state. Being in love shows a person who he should be.
- A woman can become a man’s friend only in the following stages – first an acquantaince, next a mistress, and only then a friend.
- Medicine is my lawful wife, and literature is my mistress. When I get fed up with one, I spend the night with the other.
- There should be more sincerity and heart in human relations, more silence and simplicity in our interactions. Be rude when you’re angry, laugh when something is funny, and answer when you’re asked.
So these were the top 10 best quotes by Anton Chekhov. Do bookmark the page and comment for more.