Top 10 Best Arthur C. Clarke Quotes
Sri Lankabhimanya Sir Arthur Charles Clarke, CBE, FRAS was a British science fiction writer, science writer and futurist, inventor, undersea explorer, and television series host. Here are the top 10 best Arthur C. Clarke quotes –
#1 If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible, he is almost certainly right; but if he says that it is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
#2 Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
#3 Every revolutionary idea seems to evoke three stages of reaction. They may be summed up by the phrases:
1- It’s completely impossible.
2- It’s possible, but it’s not worth doing.
3- I said it was a good idea all along.
#4 I don’t pretend we have all the answers. But the questions are certainly worth thinking about.
#5 This is the first age that’s ever paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
#6 The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible.
#7 This is the first age that’s ever paid much attention to the future.
#8 I have a fantasy where Ted Turner is elected President but refuses because he doesn’t want to give up power.
#9 The limits of the possible can only be defined by going beyond them into the impossible.
#10 We have to abandon the idea that schooling is something restricted to youth. How can it be, in a world where half the things a man knows at 20 are no longer true at 40 – and half the things he knows at 40 hadn’t been discovered when he was 20?
More Best Arthur C. Clarke Quotes
- The best measure of a man’s honesty isn’t his income tax return. It’s the zero adjust on his bathroom scale.
- Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories.
- The greatest tragedy in mankind’s entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
- It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God – but to create him.
- Reading computer manuals without the hardware is as frustrating as reading sex manuals without the software.
- When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
- Sometimes I think we’re alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we’re not. In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Human judges can show mercy. But against the laws of nature, there is no appeal.
- It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion. So now people assume that religion and morality have a necessary connection. But the basis of morality is really very simple and doesn’t require religion at all
- My favourite definition of an intellectual: ‘Someone who has been educated beyond his/her intelligence.
- In my life I have found two things of priceless worth – learning and loving. Nothing else – not fame, not power, not achievement for its own sake – can possible have the same lasting value. For when your life is over, if you can say ‘I have learned’ and ‘I have loved,’ you will also be able to say ‘I have been happy.
So these were the top 10 best Arthur C. Clarke quotes. Do share the page and comment for more quotes.